Excelling Artists

Photo taken by Amber Brunett

Amber Brunett, Features Editor

Art isn’t just a hobby anymore. Many students in the art department are now attracting more money and attention than people assume.

This year, the art department has collected over a million dollars in scholarships from the College for Creative Studies in Detroit. Since getting a new dean, Ian Lambert, the college has increased the amount of scholarships given to students. Other schools granting scholarships include Kendal College of Art and Design, Alma College, and the Savannah College of Art and Design.

“I’m extremely proud of my students,” art teacher Amy May said. “I’m happy that their hard work is finally being recognized.”

More opportunities are also presenting themselves in school. Twenty-seven students have won awards for Scholastics. Within this, nine students have won gold keys, and eighteen students have won silver keys. All of the students who won a gold key will receive a $500 scholarship to CCS, and their artwork will move on to Nationals in New York City. 

Furthermore, students have the opportunity to participate in the Tri-County Highschool Exhibition, held by Wayne State University. Selected artists will receive a $1000 scholarship to Wayne, and their art will be presented in the exhibition. First place winners will receive a $4000 scholarship to Wayne. To enter into the show, artwork needs to be submitted by February 21. The opening reception will be March 20.

“I think this is a great opportunity for students to see their work hung and displayed at a gallery quality exhibition and to see what other students are doing around the counties,” Shannon Kurzyniec, assistant preparator and peer mentor of WSU’s art galleries, said.

Along with this main event, there are many more opportunities for students. Artworks can be submitted to the Annual Macomb County Student Show, as well as Doodle for Google. 

As the world changes, art is becoming increasingly important, and organizations are starting to notice.