Spooky Season Scares

Amber Brunett, Features Editor

Spooky season has arrived, and there’s only one way to celebrate—get spooked! Local haunted houses and events are finally ready and open for October scares. 

The most anticipated haunted event, “Scarefest” in Lenox Township is open 7:00pm-midnight every Friday and Saturday this October. As Halloween nears, the park will also be open October 20 and 27. The park includes four main attractions along with other unearthly activities. 

The four main attractions vary in intensity from family friendly to horrific. The most family friendly event is the “Hayride of Doom,” which is led by a guide and spans one mile. It is perfect for a low scare, or to bring a younger family member to.

However, for those looking for more of a scare, there are two mid-level attractions: the “Terror Maze Zone” and “Forest of Darkness.” The haunted maze (not a corn maze) is made of metal and includes fog, strobes, and laser effects. The “Forest of Darkness” is 1⁄3 mile long trail winding through a forest away from the fair, “where no one can hear you scream.”

“I like haunted houses and jumpscares because they’re fun and pump your adrenaline,” senior Anthony Cartolano said. “It’s like a roller coaster on the ground.”

To those who dare, there is also the “Castle of the Dead,” which is a haunted house and Scarefest’s most terrifying attraction.

“I grew up watching scary movies, and I’m used to getting scared, so I think I’d be able to handle the Haunted House,” freshman Luisjana Sterbyci said.

If you’re not into jumpscares, Scarefest also offers many other events in the midway. This includes zombie paintball, tea leaf readings, face painting, food, bonfires and a DJ.

Tickets for Scarefest can be bought both online and at the park. One attraction costs $15, and an all-inclusive pass costs $45. VIP and speedpass tickets are also available. 

Other Events:

Apart from Scarefest, there are several other frightening and mysterious events near Sterling Heights.

On 26 Mile in Lenox Township, there is the “Haunted Farm of Terror.” Events include a haunted house and hayride, which are $25 for an adult. The farm will be open every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Along with the main attractions, there will also be special events throughout the month.

For even more scares, go to the “Erebus Haunted House” in Downtown Pontiac. The critcally acclaimed haunted house held its opening this year on September 13 and holds many new surprises. Dates and ticket prices can be found at hauntedpontiac.com. 

However, Halloween doesn’t always require braves and brawns—sometimes it needs brains. In order to escape doom, it takes good deduction and problem solving. You can test yourself and your friends at “Xtreme Escape Rooms” on 23 Mile any day of the week (by appointment).

“I like escape rooms better than haunted houses because you get to be challenged and test your friends,” senior John Simms said.

Spooky season only lasts a month, so find the monsters lurking in the dark—before they find you.