Colorful June

Amber Brunett, Senior Writer

June is the month to show colors. Pride Month recognises the influence LGBTQ+ people have on the world. It is also a way for LGBTQ+ people to spread awareness of the hardships they still face and protest peacefully for change.

“Pride month is pretty radical,” junior Alex Hernalsteen said. “It’s the anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, one of the first steps toward [LGBTQ+] rights. It’s pretty important to the [LGBTQ+] community, and it’s why pride month exists. Pride events are always pretty fun, and it’s really refreshing being around other [LGBTQ+] people.”

This Pride Month, Michigan welcomes LGBTQ+ members and allies to an array of events and celebrations.

On June 8 and 9, the Hart Plaza in Detroit, MI will be holding the Motor City Pride celebration—an annual festival welcoming more than 40,000 people every year. For a small $5 entrance fee, the event will host live music, dance and a parade by downtown. There will also be several food trucks and booths.

As for teen events, the Ferndale Area District Library will be holding a pride movie night on June 27 at 5:30 pm. There, they will be playing the film “Love, Simon.”

In order to meet other LGBTQ+ members and discuss issues, there will be a weekly LGBTQ+ Community Chat at the Java Hutt coffee shop in Ferndale, Michigan. The meetings will be every Saturday at 11 am until 1pm until the end of the month.

The LGBTQ+ Chat helps answer personal questions, but it also provides a way to meet people in the community.

“I believe pride month is a great thing, and it’s a good way to bring different people together,” sophomore James Autry said.

On June 29, the Ringwald Theatre in Ferndale, MI will be holding the Gay4Detroit: Pride Comedy Gala. With the $15 ticket fee, the show will include several LGBTQ+ comedians and a silent auction to raise money for the Ruth Ellis Center. More information can be found at: https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4251005

“Pride month is a great time for people who are experimenting with identities and who want to celebrate their pride in who they are,” sophomore Madison Hartlein said. “It’s a wonderful chance to bring people together, gay or ally.”

By uniting and spreading awareness, the LGBTQ+ community will continue to make an influence on the world. Against the black and white, June will definitely stand out in color.