What’s Your Coach Worth?

High School baseball coach has a meeting at the mound with his pitcher, and infielders.

(Juan Guajardo/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/TNS)

Griffin Nicholas, Junior Writer

How Much Should Coaches at Ford be Making vs. Coaches at Private Schools

Outside of great athletes, a lot of high school state championship teams have something in common and that’s a great coach. So the real question is what is the value of a great coach in high school and how much should the school be willing to pay these coaches?

“For our high school I believe paying a great coach however much he wants is important, I believe it will stop some of our good athletes from going to other schools,” junior Chance Kirkwood said.

At Henry Ford II we have several athletes every year leave to go to a private school in order to play a sport for a top school who has the ability to pay a top coach. Another problem is whether or not a tennis, wrestling cheer, dance etc… coach should make the same amount as the coaches for football and basketball.

”I believe it depends on the school. If they are known for their football team kind of like Muskegon and Clarkston are than you pay your football coach more. But if you are Troy or Troy Athens and your Tennis team is really good and consistently attends states every year i say they should be paid evenly,”junior Noah Bieniek said.

I believe here at ford every coach deserves equal pay no team has had a state title in over 25 years. In our case here at ford we also have a disadvantage against private schools like De La Salle and Brother Rice we don’t have the money to pay the coaches like they do schools like De La Salle have a very good sports program so in order to get the coaching staff they need, they can spend as much money as they’d like to, since they have their students paying just to attend those schools.