2018 Copper Bowl

Students and teachers team up with the Sterling Heights Police for the annual Copper Bowl.

Theresa De Benedetti, Junior Writer

Ever wondered if one of your teachers is secretly a baller? The time of year has come again for the annual Copper Bowl. The Copper Bowl is a basketball tournament hosted by Ford’s SADD club with the star players being the Sterling Heights Police Department, students, and even some of your favorite teachers.

The Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) club is very active in encouraging the students of Ford to make positive choices and aid their peers in avoiding potentially harmful behavior. They have teamed up with the Sterling Heights Police Department in hopes of forming a partnership between students and the police, and to bring the community together.

The police department does a lot for HFII, and attending the Copper Bowl gives everyone the chance to be a part of that relationship. They also help the SADD club with their mission of bringing DARE back to the elementary schools.

Since DARE lost its funding in UCS, the SADD club is bringing the anti drug and alcohol abuse program back at Graebner Elementary School. The Sterling Heights Police Department donates one of their officers to help with educating the kids on how to make positive decisions.

The Copper Bowl is a very exciting event to attend. It’s not every day you get to watch your teachers play basketball against the police, and the funding from it goes to a very good cause.

Proceeds benefit the Stefan Oncia Memorial Scholarship Fund. Stefan passed away from brain cancer in 2014 and the scholarship honors his commitment to learning and is available for seniors at HFII.

Be sure to attend the Copper Bowl on March 16 in the HFII gym, for a fun night of basketball and community togetherness!