Back Online?

COVID-19 keeps spreading and the district needs to take action

Back+Online%3F

Brendan Moore, Editor

With COVID-19 still lurking, it raises the question of online school versus in-person school. Students might learn better while in school face-to-face, but there is also a higher risk of spreading the virus due to packed classrooms and hallways. Online school could be inconvenient for working parents. However, through online school, the district can ensure that everyone stays safe and distanced during the school day.

The schools can’t control what students do outside of school, but they can limit spreading the virus within school. Students interact with a large number of people at school. If you cut out that amount then they might only interact with their own friend “group”, team or club. This limits how many people students interact with on a daily basis from a large, unknown number to maybe 15 to 20 people.

Online school can help limit the spread of COVID-19 so that students can still participate in extracurricular activities like clubs, theatre, band and sports. The district can also limit the number of quarantined students because they won’t be mixing regular students with athletes and club members. 

There is a light at the end of the tunnel now with the release of the COVID-19 vaccines. The country needs to stay strong for a few more months until everyone gets vaccinated and we can return back to normal. The country’s priority right now is to get everyone vaccinated, not having in-person classes with packed classrooms. Until then, the district needs to close in-person school and return to online classes.