Pie Time

Tips and tricks for a pie-filled holiday season

Pie+Time

Bella Koki, Junior Writer

The sweet smell of a warm apple pie… there is nothing better than eating it in its prime season. With fall weather becoming more prevalent, pie making is bound to occur soon. Making these delicious treats can seem like a hassle, but with the right tips and tricks, anyone can make it.

One of the hardest parts about making pie is the crust. Beginning with the crust, it is important to use cold butter to get the right consistency. Using a pastry blender or food processor will also help achieve a beautiful and flaky crust.

Once your dough is made, it is crucial that it is allowed time to rest in the fridge before it is rolled. This allows the gluten in the dough to relax, resulting in less shrinkage when rolling. Rolling the dough can also be tricky, but placing the dough between two sheets of parchment paper will keep it from sticking to the rolling pin and countertop.

“My family has been using parchment paper for rolling dough for years, and it’s such a simple hack that most people don’t even think about,” freshman Skylar Mack said.

Soggy crusts can lead to a failure in making the perfect pie. In order to avoid this, pre-bake the pie dough for a few minutes prior, when using more of a liquid than solid filling. When using a fruit filling, mix the fruit with a little bit of cornstarch to thicken it and prevent another soggy mess

Besides a soggy mess, a burnt mess could be even worse. To prevent a burnt pie, remove the pie slightly before the timer to prevent overcooking. The edges should be firm with the center being a little jiggly.

“Every year my family and I make our own pie crust. And the one year we didn’t, I could immediately taste the difference. It’s ten times better when you make it from scratch,” said junior Sara Bregu, when asked if she prefers store bought or homemade pie dough.

That sweet smell of a warm apple pie can be difficult to achieve, but making it from scratch can be fun for everyone. With these tips and tricks, pie making will be as easy as apple pie.