A Fast and Furious Recap

Kurt Szymanski, Online Editor

With the pushback of Fast and Furious 9 due to the coronavirus, a look back and ranking of all the films the Fast and Furious franchise has spawned is a must. Since it’s original release dating back to 2001, the franchise has launched nine movies, a terrible live action show, and the usual merchandise that comes along with other big movie franchises. However, these films have inspired many to get into and follow car culture.

1. Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs and Shaw (2019)

The most recent installment of the franchise follows main characters Luke Hobbs played by Dwyane Johnson and Deckard Shaw played by Jason Stratham teaming up to stop cybernetically enhanced solider Birxton Lorr, who is played by Idris Elba. Lorr threatens to wipe out half of the world’s population with a pathogen and it is up to Hobbs and Shaw to stop him. You can already note here that wiping out half of the population is an unoriginal idea, as it stems from Thanos from the Avenger franchise. Although there are some funny moments that come from Hobbs and Shaw’s commentary, this film follows what each previous film has done, the move away from cars to focus on the unrealistic action. 

1. The Fate of the Furious (2017)

With longtime lovers, Dom, played by Vin Diesel, and Letty, played by Michelle Rodriguez now married, and Brian, played by Paul Walker, who is married to Mia, played by Jordana Brewster, with plans to start a family, the already strong emphasis on family grows even larger. That all changes when Dom betrays his crew to work for Cipher, played by Charlize Theron for a mysterious reason. The crew assembles to stop Dom from partaking in his faulty actions and features a twist that is just as predictable as all the other movies. 

1. Fast & Furious 6 (2013)

After a hesit in Rio leaving the crew of Dom, played by Vin Diesel, Brian, Mia, Tej Parker, played by world renowned rapper Ludacris, Roman Pearce, played by Tyrese Gibson, Han, played by Sung Kang, and Gisele, played by Gal Gadot rather rich, they all part separate ways to hide from persecution from the government. Meanwhile in London, England, Hobbs is on a mission to find and stop Owen Shaw, played by Luke Evans. Hobbs notices that Shaw’s right hand is Dom’s previous lover Letty, played by Michelle Rodriguez, who was thought to be dead in the fourth movie. While the setting in London is very interesting and Roman has his usual funny lines, this movie features the first sign of straight up insane and impractical action that only worsens in the films to come.

1. 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)

This film follows Brian and Roman in Miami, Florida who are promised by the FBI to be free of charges from their previous crimes if they help take down a powerful drug lord. The second movie stays true to it’s car roots and displays many races that could get any car geek entertained. Although this movie is my personal favorite because of the corny lines from Brian and Roman, I can’t justify putting it any higher on the list due to the rather uninteresting plot and illogical ending.

1. Fast and Furious (2009)

Following Letty’s death in a mysterious car accident, Dom heads to LA to follows leads relating to her death. He runs into Brian for the first time after the first movie and despite having hate for him after Brian cracked down on his truck heists in the first film, they work together and get revenge on the people who killed Letty. This film is the first film to reunite a majority of the cast form the original and does so in a slower but acceptable manner.

1. Furious 7 (2015)

In the wake of what happened to his brother Owen, Deckard Shaw plots revenge on the Furious Family and is definitely the bigger threat between the two brothers. Dekckard is a problem no more when the crew track down and free hacker Ramsey. This movie gets a higher ranking than most of the recent sequels because of the emotional ending that left fans of the franchise heartbroken and in disbelief.

1. Fast Five (2011)

After freeing Dom, Brian and Mia retreat to Rio de Janeiro to avoid federal agent Hobbs. Sometime later in Rio, they get into some conflict with a corrupt buisnessman who happens to have an unbelievably large amount of money. A movie that still has a satisfactory amount of cars and a tolerable amount of action that also has a good plot is the perfectly balanced Fast and Furious movie, but it still doesn’t top the next two films.

1. The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift

High school studnet Sean, played by Lucas Black, has gotten into trouble one too many times with the cops and is sent off to his dad in Japan. Once in Japan, Sean starts showing interest in Neela, played by Nathalie Kelley who happens to be the girlfriend of D.K., played by Brain Tee, a top dog of drifting and the nephew of a large Japanese gangster. Although this film did poorly in the box office, it happens to be a fan-favorite and it captures the tuner scene in Japan very well.

1. The Fast and the Furious

Dominic Toretto is a simple man, his top priorities inclue street racing and family. However, undercover cop, Brian O’Conner starts investigating a series of truck heists that have been happening in L.A. Soon, Brian starts to fall for Doms sister, Mia, and his loyalties are tested when he needs to move in on Toretto. Of course the expected number one spot is the original, and here it is. This film is a classic and has so many iconic cars and lines from the movie. It also sparked a lot of the tuning scene in the United States.