Expanding the den

With football season approaching fast the Detroit Lions look to expand their pride.

Dominic Rizzo, Junior Writer

A big change has happened during The Lions’ off season, head coach Jim Caldwell was fired after another uneventful year. The Lions are winless whenever they miraculously managed to make the playoffs.

Hope is not yet lost, especially with the recent hire of Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia. Ever since Patricia took the defensive coordinator position in 2012 the Patriots have had four Super Bowl appearances with the defense being a big contributor. This is exactly what an average Lions team needs to finally become the team their fans have always wanted.

Lions have also been let down when it comes to the NFL Draft every year it seems the lions either draft the wrong position or the right position but a complete bust. For this years draft the Lions will have a #20 pick and there’s a lot of talent in much needed positions for this year’s team. A lot of that talent comes from these 3 most wanted for the 2018 draft.

1.DE Harold Landry, Boston College

The Lions are in desperate need of edge rushers on their roster especially under coach, Matt Patricia. Standing at 6-3 252 Ibs he seems a bit undersized but his sheer speed and ability to get around the edge makes him special. Throughout his college career he totaled 158 tackles and 25 sacks despite an injury plagued senior year. With the addition of an outstanding NFL combine performance Landry becomes a projected 1st round pick.

2.OG Will Hernandez, UTEP

With the recent transfer from eagles running back LeGarrette Blount the Lions will have a improved running game this will require a better offensive linemen. That’s exactly what you find when look at the 6-2 350 pounder.The 4 year starter provides excellent athleticism which could boost the Lions offense capability immediately..   Hernandez is surprisingly flexible and quick for his size, combine this with his ability to block the run game and you have a possible or immediate starter.

1.     RB Nick Chubb, Georgia

One of the clear lackluster positions currently for the Lions is running back. Ameer Abdullah only managed to rush for 552 yds last season it’s clear the lions need a change. Look no further then Georgia’s Nick Chubb who rushed for 4769 yds in his career despite a infamous injury during his sophomore season. Him and Sony Michel lead Georgia to their first national championship since 1980. Chubb will be a good rotation in the Lions back field.

Regardless of what happens April 26th, the Lions will be a different team this coming season and it certainly has a lot of fans on edge.

Dominic Rizzo, Junior Writer

Dominic Rizzo is a student in Journalism 1 he is in 11th grade and enjoys writing as well as watching movies. He wants to get involved in more extracurricular...