NBA Playoffs: The battle for the title

This year's NBA Playoffs kick off with teams that are stronger than ever.

Kurt Szymanski, Junior Writer

With the NBA Playoffs all set and ready to go, everyone is asking one question, who is going to win it all?

Before that question is answered by statistics, we must first understand how the playoffs are set up and how they play out each year.

The NBA Playoffs are divided into two conferences, the eastern conference and the western conference. Only the top eight teams from each conference will have their shot to defend their team name in the playoffs. The teams are then arranged into “seeds,” one through eight by their record, and the teams play which seed is opposite of them. An example would be the one seed playing the eight seed in the first round.

Every round of the playoffs is a best of seven game series, with home court advantage going to the higher seed, giving them that extra fourth game at home. Their opponents only get three home games.

Based off statistics, the Houston Rockets have the best odds of winning the finals with a whopping 39.3 percent chance. It makes sense they are given this percentage when the team is led by MVP candidate James Harden, and having explosive guard, Chris Paul, plus incredible finisher, Clint Capela.

“I believe the Golden State Warriors will win, they have the best all-around team and will always make some noise in the playoffs.” freshman Dominic Mecca said.

However, just because Houston has the highest odds, we cannot count out other teams that have made an impression on NBA fans this year. The Toronto Raptors have secured the first seed in the eastern conference and have made the playoffs five times in a row, which is the longest playoff streak in its franchise history. The Raptors have a 27.8 percent chance to win the finals.

The young core of the Philadelphia 76ers have also turned many heads their direction

after a shocking improvement of 24 more wins from last season. In addition to their all-star center, Joel Embiid, they have strong “Rookie of the Year” candidate Ben Simmons running the floor healthy. The 76ers round out the top 3 favorite teams with a 9.7 percent chance to win it all.

“I think the Houston Rockets will win because no team in the eastern conference can beat them and I don’t think Golden State Warriors point guard, Stephen Curry, is going to stay healthy in the playoffs.” sophomore Craig McConnell said.

However, just because Houston has the highest odds, we cannot count out other teams that made an impression on NBA fans this year. The Toronto Raptors have secured the first seed in the eastern conference and have made the playoffs five times in a row, which is the longest playoff streak in its franchise history. The Raptors have a 27.8 percent chance to win the finals.

Last year’s NBA champions, the Golden State Warriors, are still in the conversation for the championship, but with starting point guard, Stephen Curry, sidelined and expected to be sidelined the entire first round against the San Antonio Spurs, eyebrows will be raised to see whether or not they can make the final round in the powerful Western Conference. The Warriors have a small slice of the pie with only a 3.8 percent chance to win the NBA finals.

With all the questions swirling around about who is winning the NBA championship, and all the games to be played we are certain of one thing, Detroit is not winning this year.