Fall and Winter Fun

Fun, local festivities to do with your whole family.

Claudia Pilarski, Junior Writer

As summer comes to a close, an opportunity arises for local museums and venues to come up with exciting things to do in the upcoming fall and winter season.

To start off with, the rest of October is full of activities and events that students won’t want to miss. There are lots of family-friendly Halloween activities being held at Greenfield Village from October 13 to October 29. There, students can admire the decorated streets while also learning a little bit of local history. On October 12, band students will definitely want to attend the Detroit Symphony Orchestra’s rendition of Beethoven’s Third Symphony at the Detroit Orchestra Hall. Finally, starting on October 14 at the Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation, there will be an exhibition highlighting the process of creating a Pixar movie. Any student interested in animation, or if they just enjoy movies, will want to check this out before it ends on March 18.

As Michiganders prepare for the winter, there will be several events for students to enjoy the great outdoors this November before the snow starts to fall. On November 12, the Outdoor Adventure Center in Detroit is holding an origami workshop for visitors of all ages to practice their folding skills and learn to make different animals with the help of the staff. Since November 17 is National Take a Hike Day, the Outdoor Adventure Center is celebrating by educating people on the best trails, tips on what to bring, and, of course, take a hike! Before the month  ends, students that want to take a moment to relax and admire local wildlife should visit the Edsel & Eleanor Ford House on November 18 to join bird experts on a walk through the estate’s grounds. Students can birdwatch and spot many different species on their flight south for the winter.

Throughout the month of December, there will be lots of festive local events that students will appreciate just in time for the holiday season. Starting December 1, Greenfield Village will have their holiday lights display running until December 30, so families have the whole month to take pleasure in the glowing historical site. For students who want to participate in classic winter activities but don’t want to go outside, the Outdoor Adventure Center is hosting an indoor ice fishing and snowball fight competition on December 16 and 17. Students who celebrate Christmas and want to spread the holiday cheer should have fun at A Christmas Holiday Spectacular, a show full of singers and dancers performing classic Christmas carols. The event will be taking place at the Fisher Theatre from December 12 through December 17.

Hopefully, students who want to savor the time they have over the holiday breaks will have a good time at these events throughout the fall and winter season. For more information on local events, visit www.michigan.org.