Break a secret, Save a life

KnowResolve founder visits Henry Ford II freshmen and seniors.

Alysa Kirn, Editor-and-Cheif

As the freshman filed into the theater seating at Ford one bright Wednesday morning, they prepared for the inspiring and moving presentation from KnowResolve.

September 13, Dennis Liegghio, founder of the suicide awareness group KnowResolve, gave his annual presentation in hopes of making suicide a less taboo subject to speak about. When Liegghio was just 14 years old he lost his dad to suicide, and  has been dedicating himself to helping others who might feel the same way his dad did ever since.

“My goal and hope for each one of my presentations is to save a life,” Liegghio said. “I know that in every audience there is at least one person seriously contemplating and my hope is that through my story and sharing the things that got me through the darkness will help someone who is feeling hopeless.” 

Along with the freshmen, select Executive Board members from the student club here at Ford were invited to watch the presentation. Within those select few was  senior Brianna Atkinson who has been a member of the KnowResolve student group since the very beginning.

“It was an awesome experience to see how everyone was so moved and involved in Dennis’ presentation,” Atkinson said. “It’s really cool to see how everyone reacts to his story.” 

To close out the presentation Liegghio performed two of his original songs. In support, the freshmen turned their flashlights on their phones and illuminated the auditorium. With the help of Dennis Liegghio and the KnowResolve student group, suicide prevention and awareness is becoming a more socially known topic one secret at a time.

If you would like to join the KnowResolve student club at Henry Ford please visit Mrs. Livingston in the counseling office. If you would like to make a donation to Dennis Liegghio’s foundation please visit www.knowresolve.org